Down haul for jib

 I added a downhaul for the jib a week ago.  It is a thin line of 7/64 dyneema that runs forward to the base of the jib tack through the fair leads of the furler that is no longer on board.  I can pull down the jib without going forward and then lock it down.

It is spliced into 6mm double braid to make it easier on the hands.  

Today I went out solo for the first time this season.  Winds were gusting up to 22 knots.  The downhaul was very handy.

In previous trips with a double crew it has been handy as well.  It is one of the improvements that makes spinnaker time less crazy.

It does have a down side.  It can get tangled or I forget to loosen it before raising the jib.  Minor.

I secure it to the top hank and let ot run through the next two down.  Don’t secure it to the jib head with the halyard.  That just binds up.

Comments

Popular Posts